Friday, January 23, 2009

This was how we spent our New Year's...

Well, it was an interesting New Year's for the Thomas Family this year. One I hope to never repeat. It was a nice little stay in the hospital with our little man, Gray. What was supposed to only be an over night stay turned into three nights. This is how it went down. On Sunday morning Gray woke with a bit of fever and very fussy. Not like himself...I mean the little guy is a little needy but this was just over the top. I noticed he was having a difficult time breathing so, we immediately started breathing treatments. He seemed a little better but he still wasn't himself and still stuggling to breath. So, Monday evening I took him to the doctor. They tested him for the flu, nope not that...Thank goodness. One more dig in his nose...he was not liking that. This one would determine if he had RSV and we would not know the outcome until Wednesday, which was New Year's Eve. So, we went home did round the clock breathing treatments and went back in on Wednesday. As soon as we got there the results where in...she said he tested positive for RSV and my options were to take him to the ER at a local hospital or down to Texas Children's and risk them not taking him at all because it was RSV season and they probably won't have any rooms available. I just broke down! I can't believe I have to take my little guy to the hospital. We immediately ran home, I packed an "overnight" bag for me and for him, thinking we would only be there for one night. With a two hour wait in the ER and that was a direct admit so, you can imagine how long some of those people were there waiting. Within a few hours they had him on oxygen and round the clock breathing treatments. I felt like I had a newborn all over again. They would come in do his breathing treatments and then take his vitals. Once he was good and awake, they would give him back to me and there I was trying to calm him down and get him to sleep again. I would get back into what they called a pull out bed, which was the most uncomfortable place I've ever slept and I have slept on a roof in Mexico in the middle of July and that was better. The next thing I knew they were back to do the same thing again. Are you kidding me?? The next night was a little easier . Gray was showing signs of improvment but they still wouldn't allow us to take him home just yet. They just didn't feel comfortable releasing him with his oxygen levels not at consistant number. Once, he was at 99-100% O2 all day he would be discharged. Finally, Saturday morning they took him off the Oxygen and by that afternoon he was free to go. Yippee!!! After three long nights we were able to go home and with in a few days at home he was back to himself. What an experience! Happy New Year!




Even with a little Oxygen tube up his nose he's still so stinkin' cute!

No comments: